A MIRACULOUS SPRING

A MIRACULOUS SPRING

by Andrea, 23/01/2015

The legend of the miraculous and therapeutic waters of the spring of Saint Francis or Amerino Spring

In 1213 St. Francis dwelt at the Cesi hermitage where, after a sleepless night caused by the onset of his illness, just as the day was dawning, even though reluctant, beatified Peter led him to the Acquasparta Springs.

The humble man drank the prodigious water and benefited from it. To the multitude of people who had flocked there he expressed his wish of erecting a hermitage with a leper hospital attached.

The leper hospital was afterwards replaced by the church and present convent dedicated to St. Francis, near the Amerino Spring Park, famous health and spa resort of the XX century that contains the miraculous spring.

Throughout Medieval times the mineral waters of Acquasparta and others along the Valley of the Naia Brook and age-old Flaminia Road, were used for their therapeutic value and attracted hospitals, churches and sanctuaries.

These buildings were the direct expression of Christian religiousness and spirituality, and provided shelter for pilgrims and travellers and treatment for poor ill people.

Location:

Acquasparta – Terni – Umbria – Italy

References

FONTE: P.ROSSI, Francesco di Assisi e la Valle Ternana, Thyrus,1997; B.BAIOCCO Il ruolo terapeutico delle acque minerali nel Medioevo . Gli Ospedali in Il patrimonio della cultura termale. Per una rete europea di ecomusei, Visconti, 2005. – FONTI: S.SPERANDIO, Le sorgenti minerali Sangemini e Amerino nella storia del territorio,Thyrus, 2000